Saturday 4 April 2015

Magnetic Island Hostel Review Part 1

BUNGALOW BAY




I was really excited about staying here but I can honestly say this was the biggest disappointment I have had since being in Australia. 

Firstly, despite being informed that we would be able to see the koalas and wildlife because we were staying at Bungalow Bay. This was a lie and not only was it not included but we  were also not offered any sort of discount. This was the main reason I had stayed here but the prices they were charging just for the park never mind the additional extras was just too high for what it was. 

Facilities 

I didn't purchase wifi here but it was very expensive. There is a Telstra hotspot down the road near the bay if you really need it. 

Reception is not open at night, not 100% sure when it shuts as we were at the beach quite late and they didn't inform us of a time. 

Security wise- they are no lockers, the doors on the lodges don't exactly look strong either. So to be honest, not great with security. Plus, anyone or any animal can walk on and in to the hostel although the lodges are built away from the ground but still. 

Bungalow Bay does have a swimming pool which does look nice however it doesn't get very sunny. Although, wih the humidity in Magnetic Island you may well be done with the sun!

There is a bar/restaurant at the hostel although it's quite expensive for what it is. They do have 241 cocktails on a Friday thoufh. Plus the outside seating area is really nice to chill in although don't even think about going to sit there at night without insect repellent. 

The kitchen is basic. There are not many hobs however of these I think three work. It is also slightly away from the main hostel which meanss you have to walk down a dark path to get to it. Believe me, once you have seen wallabies, possums and have a potential snake sighting you do NOT want to be attempting to get down this dark path at night. 

Breakfast 

I don't even know why I insist on keeping this section on her because breakfast is never included in hostels in Australia! 

Showers and Toilets 

The ensuite was alright. The shower was quite powerful although due to the rustic nature of the place I showered as quickly as possible in case I was joined by unwanted visitors. All of the washing eye faxilities were not separated so you would have to wait to use the toilet if someone was in the shower. 

Staff 

At check in, the staff seemed alright- not the most friendly but not the worst either. However, when I informed them that I couldn't find the labels for the food in the kitchen they were rude and unhelpful. They only attempted to actually help me after I had gone back after a third time to inform them that despite what they were saying they were not there. At this point, thy gave me the labels and begrudgingly the elastic bands. By now, they had already been condescending, rude and unwelcoming- topping off what can only be described as one of the worst hostels I have stayed in throughout all of my trips. 

Value for Money 

No it was not. If you have not quite gathered I am not exactly the biggest fan of this hostel and therefore do not think it is worth the money I paid. Although, it may be some people's idea of heaven- each to their own. 

Dorms 

The dorms themselves were actually alright, although quite hot but space wise not too bad. Despite having mosquito nets over the windows etc I did still get bitten. The one thing I did not like about the dorms is that they were quite a way from reception, the bar and pool. More for security reasons rather than laziness and also because there are roaming animals and it's not lit very well, walking from the kitchen was not exactly ideal. 

Location 

It is good in the sense of its near the sanctuary and horseshoe bay but to get anywhere else on the island you have to take the bus because everything is quite spread out.  

OVERALL , this hostel just was not for me. I was very glad to get out of here. However, if you want to have a more jungle experience than this may be perfect for you. Just be aware that food wise you will be on the most expensive part of the island as there is only one shop and it's very expensive- more expensive than the big cities. 

Love Imogen xoxo





  

















No comments:

Post a Comment